What have I found out?
What goes into the making of a successful book? One would think simply a well written text is all you need but that is so far from the truth of it. With the advancements in self publishing and print on demand services the industry has seen an influx of independent authors and texts.
With self publishing authors have the freedom to brake away from publishers’ strong hold on how women are portrayed in texts, in particular romance novels.
As a result of these changes romance novelists are crafting more intelligent female leads and designing love stories for an intelligent audience.
It is this trend that has me picking up romance novels again after nearly a ten year hiatus. Independent authors like Penny Reid, Meghan March and Mariana Zapata have built their own following of romance readers looking for something more than the traditional Harlequin Romance formula.
For the New Author, breaking into the publishing world how do we find readers that will find our work. I’ve gathered a few perspectives for myself, but most likely the winning formula will vary by genre and the quality of the authors work. Here is what I’ve found so far:
- Design a cover on trend with what is selling in your genre.
- Find your readers, don’t waste your time trying to sell erotic romance to readers who only want cupcake romance.
- Plan and write a recognizable series. Series sell books.
- Write a good blurb, this is the one opportunity you have to sell your book; make it a good one.
- Advertise, advertise, advertise…
But don’t take my word for it. I’m not a published selling author yet. I’m just sharing what I’ve learned in my pursuit to publish and sell three books this year.